We all know that drinking water is necessary not only for health, but also for human life. Virtually every student from the youngest classes of primary school knows that our body is 70% water. We also know that water should be consumed regularly and in an amount of not less than 30ml per kg of body weight, which gives us about 1.5l to 2 liters per day. We should reach for water even when we have no feeling of thirst. Keep in mind, however, that the body may also become overhydrated. Too much consumption of fluids with very low electrolyte content may cause water and electrolyte disturbances, which are manifested by nausea, vomiting, low blood pressure, weakness and even convulsions. In turn, excessive consumption of highly mineralized water causes the outflow of water from the bloodstream to the intestine to equalize its concentration. Water helps us maintain normal metabolic economy, transports nutrients to cells, allows cells to absorb nutrients from foods and at the same time cleanses them of the negative effects of metabolism. Most often we reach for bottled water or the one that flows in the tap. However, is it of good quality?
Mineral or spring waters, most often bought in plastic bottles, temporarily quench your thirst, but disturb your body’s balance. It cannot be concealed that very often the information provided on the labels is incomplete or not at all true. In addition, the plastic slowly degrades and swallows its particles with water. Tap water, commonly known as “tap water”, is treated. Regulation of the Minister of Health of December 7, 2017 regarding the quality of water intended for human consumption, Dz. U.2017 item 2294. defines the minimum parameters of water quality that can be fed into the water supply network. Such water should be tested every day. However, such a test is done before it reaches our home, and the water systems of different cities differ from each other. Most often they are not exchanged for years, they are outdated and the water flowing through them flushes out from the old pipes the pollution that is consumed by man. Unfortunately, the water from the intake is not subject to mineralization. Potential viruses and bacteria are removed using chlorine. I think everyone knows the smell of chlorine, which is even used to disinfect pool water.
To be absolutely sure that we consume the best quality water, we should filter it at home. We can do it using either methods from survival camps or use water filtration systems available on the market. Self-treatment of water should consist of two stages: filtration and disinfection. The pre-filter can be e.g. fabric, cloth, sand, moss or grass blades. In this way we will separate larger impurities. The matter gets complicated when we come to sanitizing water – we should use some measure for it, e.g. the aforementioned chlorine with a characteristic, repulsive odor. Rather, this procedure is associated with the school of survival.
Fortunately, the market offers us a number of commercial solutions in the form of home water filters. Depending on the quality of the selected device, we can improve the taste, smell and mineral properties of drinking water.
The most important benefits of using water filters are:
- improving the taste and smell of water,
- improvement of water quality parameters,
- improving the taste of prepared dishes and drinks,
- effective blocking of even the smallest impurities,
- high efficiency of filter cartridges,
- trouble-free and easy operation.
Technological development allows to meet the expectations of every investor. Depending on your preferences, mounting and financial options, different types of water filters are available. Among the most popular types of “water improvers” we can distinguish:
- Mechanical filters are installed at the beginning of the installation and retain solid particles (sand, sand), suspended solids, rust, scale particles up to 1 micron in size and protect subsequent devices from these contaminants. The advantage of such a system is the lack of sterilization of mineral water,
- Filters with a carbon insert very effective in removing organic impurities as well as pesticides or herbicides. Cartridges are made of different types of coal. It is coal that significantly improves the taste and smell of water flowing from the tap. We need to periodically clean them and prevent long stagnation of water inside the filters, because it threatens the multiplication of microorganisms,
- Softeners clean the water of calcium and magnesium compounds that give it hardness. Water hardness has an impact on the formation of harmful calcium deposits in pipes, on sanitary facilities, in kettles and the mechanisms of washing machines or dishwashers,
- The manganese removers and iron removers eliminate the turbidity of water and remove its color caused by too high concentration of iron and manganese. They should be installed after mechanical filters, but before softening. Just rinsing these iron removers